Welcome to the barking babies™ spaw, the chicest one-stop shop for the hautest hounds in town! Our spaw menu covers several grooming options and the best doggie stylists on hand for muttastic grooming makeovers. Finish off your dog’s stay with shopping our carefully curated selection of doggie duds from around the world.
Our treatments rooms are located in the back of the boutique behind a secure glass door. It features a waiting doggie lounge complete with beds, and three additional gates for safety. Your dog’s well-being, safety and comfort is our #1 priority.
Due to the size of our spaw grooming facility, we can only accommodate smaller pups like Yorkies, Maltsee, Poms, Shitzus and other small breeds under 20 pounds.
waiting play area
triple gate system
From a bath and tidy to the full spa treatment, we'll tailor to your barking babies™ needs with the rrroyal treatment!
We do not cage/kennel but rather book our grooming sessions one furbaby at a time and provide a gated waiting area for drop-off and pick-up. We want your dog's experience to be fun and as stress-free as possible!
All of our shampoos, conditioners, and cleaning products are chemical free. Let us know in advance if your dog has any allergies or skin problems that require special attention like our hypoallergenic or allergy skin shampoos and conditioners.You may also bring your own medicated shampoo.
Since opening in 2004 we have made the career choice of spending time with dogs and doing what we love. We love your dogs as much as you do and this is why we do what we do. We only want the best for your four-legged baby!
grooming menu + pricing
The cost for grooming your dog depends on size, breed, style of haircut, and dematting. Our groomer will give you an estimate at the time of your drop off consultation.
This is a full haircut of the body with bath, blow dry, brush out, ear cleaning, nail/foot trim, sanitary and face trim. For basic groom we use clippers to trim the fur and scissors to shape face & feet. For scissor cut groom, we use mostly scissors to shape the entire coat. Extra fees can occur if we need to dematt the coat (see below about dematting).
scissor cut groom
BATH & TIDY GROOM
This is not a full haircut. The bath & tidy groom is a full bath, blow dry, brush out, ear cleaning, nail/foot trim, sanitary and face trim. Extra fees can occur if we need to dematt the coat (see below about dematting).
bath & tidy groom
PUPPY'S FIRST TIME
It can be a really scary experience for puppy’s first groom and this is why we do not offer full service haircut for the first visit. The puppy's first groom is a bath, blow dry, very light brush out, ear cleaning & simple face, foot, nail, sanitary trim as needed. For puppies under 14 weeks of age.
- tiny service: $35 and up
- small service: $45 and up
You can order add on services to your dog's groom:
a la carte
what are mats and dematting?
Matting is a condition in your dog's fur/hair that is caused by dense tangles and knots.
Matting occurs from:
- lack of not routinely being combed or brushed or groomed
- not being combed through prior to getting wet - we can not bathe a dog if there is matting as this will only cause the mats to get tighter
- not being combed through while lifting puppy coat - we can not bathe a puppy if there is matting as this will only cause the mats to get tighter
- stresses like seasonal allergies, moving, sickness and travel
During your consultation with our groomer, they will inform you of mats. Depending on the degree of matting, we prefer to shave than try to untangle it manually. Untangling manually can be extremely painful and even tortuous for your dog, in addition to taking a significant amount of time. Therefore, the shaving technique is often the best approach but it is not without some side effects or consequences, including resulting in skin that is red or itchy. You will be required to sign a waiver.
We want you to know that shaving is not a "short-cut" to grooming. Shaving can be slow, tedious and dangerous process. We are working on areas of your dog where skin is thin, and likely already irritated. Shaving a matted dog must be done slowly with experience and with care. Matted coats are hard on our equipment and in some cases require two haircuts, the first to remove the matted coat prior to bathing and a second to even up the coat after bathing.
If your dog has just a few mats (less than 25% of body) and tolerates dematting, we remove mats by splitting, thinning and then brushing them out. Double coated dogs, like Poms, have an undercoat that is short, soft fur which can get packed with dead fur blocking airflow. We do not shave double coated dogs but rather comb out these dead hairs which we call deshedding.
cost for dematting & deshedding services:
- $1/minute for dematting, no more than 30 minutes or what your dog tolerates
- $20-$30 for deshedding - removes 95% of undercoat
- $25 fee for full shave/strip
These additional fees are added to your grooming bill.
Better grooming on an ongoing basis will help prevent mats from developing. By preventing matting, you’ll prevent or reduce the need for shaving, and thus reduce the incidence of skin irritation for your four-legged baby!
Bottom line, prevention is the best way to deal with mats! We have tools in store to show you how to use to better manage your dog's overall coat condition. You will be given a take home after care sheet 🐾
- Cancellations: please call at least 24 hours prior to your appointment to cancel or reschedule.
- If an appointment is missed 2 times, we will take full payment to book next groom.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late to your scheduled appointment, we may not be able to perform your scheduled grooming services (we don't want to keep our other clients waiting!)
- We ask that you pick up your dog within 15 minutes of our call. *Currently during COVID-19, please pick up your dog after we call for pick up to avoid cross contamination. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Should your dog display aggressive behaviour towards our groomers, we will make all attempts to finish grooming your pet with a muzzle. Should your dog bite and break the skin of any of our staff, a $25 fee will be added to your bill. If your dog continues to displays aggressive behaviour and our groomer is unable to complete your appointment, you may be charged a partial fee for the amount of time spent attempting to groom them.
The safety of our staff, other dogs and your dog's well-being is our #1 priority 🐾
We offer grooming services every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am - 4pm. Closed Mondays.
to book grooming
We have 2 doggie stylists on hand for your grooming needs!
1) Kristy - books Wednesday through to Sunday
2) Veronica - is now taking new clients and grooms every Tuesday
To book for grooming:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, your dog's name, your phone number and if you've groomed with us before. We will call you back.
Alternatively, please call us during business hours at 604-647-2275 to book your appointment.
We ask that if you enter barking babies:
- You’re not sick
- You haven’t been anywhere near anyone who’s sick (with or without COVID-19)
- You haven’t returned to Canada from another country (including the US) within the last month
- You use hand sanitizer/antiseptic wipes before you enter, apply a mask if you have one or we will provide
- You follow physical distancing floor signs we've implemented in shop
- You remove all your dogs' belongings prior to drop off for grooming so to prevent cross contamination
- You pick up your dog immediately after we call for grooming to prevent cross contamination
IF DOOR IS LOCKED CALL 604-647-2275 & WE WILL MEET YOU We use top VETERINARIAN sanitation for the grooming area. Our top priority is not just to keep ourselves safe, but also YOU and your dogs. We want everyone to feel confident coming in to purchase or for grooming appointments. We don’t want anybody to feel uncomfortable or unsafe and the only way to do this is if we all respect the directives and follow the same protocols. Be kind to one another.
We will continue to monitor and adapt as necessary to ensure everyone’s safety. Thank you for your cooperation! barking babies 🐾