Welcome to the barking babies™ spaw, the chicest one-stop shop for the hautest hounds in town! Our spaw menu covers several grooming options and the best doggie stylists on hand for muttastic grooming makeovers. Finish off your dog’s stay with shopping our carefully curated selection of doggie duds from around the world.
Our treatments rooms are located in the back of the boutique behind a secure glass door. It features a waiting doggie lounge complete with beds, and three additional gates for safety. Your dog’s well-being, safety and comfort is our #1 priority.
Due to the size of our spaw grooming facility, we can only accommodate smaller pups like Yorkies, Maltsee, Poms, Shitzus and other small breeds under 25 pounds.
waiting play area
triple gate system
From a bath and tidy to the full spa treatment, we'll tailor to your barking babies™ needs with the rrroyal treatment!
We do not cage/kennel but rather book our grooming sessions one furbaby at a time and provide a gated waiting area for drop-off and pick-up. We want your dog's experience to be as stress-free and fun as possible!
All of our shampoos, conditioners, and cleaning products are chemical free. Let us know in advance if your dog has any allergies or skin problems that require special attention like our hypoallergenic or allergy skin shampoos and conditioners.You may also bring your own medicated shampoo.
Since opening in 2004 we have made the career choice of spending time with dogs and doing what we love. We love your dogs as much as you do and this is why we do what we do. We only want the best for your four-legged baby!
grooming menu + pricing
The cost for grooming depends on size, breed, style of haircut, and any additional services like dematting/deshedding. Our groomers will give you an estimate at the time of your drop off consultation.
Some examples of breeds per groom category:
tiny: yorkies, chihuahua, maltese under 5 pounds
small: yorkies, maltese, poms, poodles under 10 pounds
medium: shitzu, doxies, poodles, terriers under 15 pounds
large: king charles, westies, terriers under 20 pounds
xlarge: mini doodles, cavapoos under 25 pounds
* Sorry we can not accommodate bigger breeds over 25 pounds due to the size of our facilitates.
This is a full haircut of the body.
This service includes: bath, blow dry, brush out, ear cleaning, nail/foot trim, sanitary and face trim. For basic grooming, we use clippers to trim the fur and scissors to shape face & feet. For scissor cut grooming, we generally use scissors to shape the entire coat. Extra fees can occur if dematting or shaving is necessary (see below about dematting & shaving).
scissor cut groom
BATH & TIDY GROOM
This is not a full haircut.
This service includes bath, blow dry, brush out, ear cleaning, nail/foot trim, sanitary and face trim. Extra fees can occur if dematting is necessary (see below about dematting).
bath & tidy groom
PUPPY'S FIRST GROOM
A puppy's first groom can be a scary experience which is why we do not offer full service haircut for the first visit. Puppy's first groom includes: bath, blow dry, very light brush out, ear cleaning & simple face, foot, nail, sanitary trim as needed. We reserve this service for puppies under 14 weeks of age.
- tiny service: $40 and up
- small service: $45 and up
- medium service: $50 and up
You can order add on services to your dog's groom:
a la carte
what are mats and dematting?
Matting is a condition in your dog's fur/hair that is caused by dense tangles and knots. Matting occurs from:
- lack of routine such as combing, brushing or grooming
- not combing through prior to getting wet
- not combing through while lifting puppy coat
- stresses like seasonal allergies, moving, sickness and travel
Any signs of matting will be brought up during your consultation. If your dog has mats less than 25% of body and tolerates dematting, we remove mats by splitting, thinning and brushing them out.
For double coated dogs, like Poms, that have an undercoat which can get packed with dead fur, we comb/brush out these dead hairs which we call deshedding.
cost for dematting & deshedding services:
- $1/minute for dematting - $10 to $30 but not more than 30 minutes
- $1/minute for deshedding for double coats - $15 to $60 but not more than an hour
- These additional fees are added to your grooming bill
Depending on the degree of matting, we may have to shave than try to untangle it manually. Untangling manually can be extremely painful and even tortuous. The shaving technique is often the best approach but it is not without consequences such as possible red or itchy skin.
We want you to know that shaving to the skin is not a "short-cut" to grooming. Shaving is a slow, tedious and dangerous process that must be handled with experience and care. We are working on areas of your dog where skin is thin, and likely already irritated. Matted coats are hard on our equipment and in some cases require two haircuts, the first to remove the matted coat prior to bathing and a second to even up the coat after bathing. You will be required to sign a waiver.
cost for shaving services:
- $25 shave fee
- This additional fees are added to your grooming bill
Better grooming on an ongoing basis will help prevent mats from developing. By preventing matting, you’ll prevent or reduce the need for shaving, and thus reduce the incidence of skin irritation for your four-legged baby!
Bottom line, prevention is the best way to deal with mats! We have tools in store to show you how to use to better manage your dog's overall coat condition. You will be given a take home after care sheet 🐾
- Please call at least 24 hours prior to your appointment to cancel or reschedule, if not you will be billed a $45 no show fee on your next groom
- If an appointment is missed more than 2 times, we will take full payment to book next groom
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late to your scheduled appointment, we may not be able to perform your scheduled grooming services (we don't want to keep our other clients waiting!)
- We ask that you pick up your dog within 15 minutes of our call
- Should your dog display aggressive behaviour towards our groomers, we will make all attempts to finish grooming your pet with a muzzle. Should your dog bite and break the skin of any of our staff, a $25 fee will be added to your bill. If your dog continues to displays aggressive behaviour and our groomer is unable to complete your appointment, you may be charged a partial fee for the amount of time spent attempting to groom them.
The safety of our staff and your dog's well-being is our #1 priority 🐾
We offer grooming services every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am - 4pm. Closed Mondays.
to book grooming
We have 2 doggie stylists on hand for your grooming needs!
1) Kristy - books Wednesday through to Sunday
2) Veronica - is now taking new clients and grooms every Tuesday
To book for grooming:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, your dog's name, your phone number and if you've groomed with us before. We will call you back.
Alternatively, please call us during business hours at 604-647-2275 to book your appointment.
We ask that if you enter barking babies
- You’re not sick
- You haven’t been anywhere near anyone who’s sick (with or without COVID-19)
- You use hand sanitizer before you enter, optional mask
- You follow physical distancing floor signs we've implemented in shop
- You remove all your dogs' belongings prior to drop off for grooming so to prevent cross contamination
- You pick up your dog immediately after we call for grooming to prevent cross contamination
We use top VETERINARIAN sanitation for the grooming area. Our top priority is not just to keep ourselves safe, but also YOU and your dogs. We want everyone to feel confident coming in to purchase or for grooming appointments. We don’t want anybody to feel uncomfortable or unsafe and the only way to do this is if we all respect the directives and follow the same protocols. Be kind to one another.
Thank you for your cooperation! barking babies 🐾